Total Time: 10 minutes (if using rice that has already been cooled)
Yields 6 servings
For the Rice
1 cup long grain brown rice
2½ cups water
¼ tsp salt
For the Fried Rice
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ cup chopped onions
1 cup diced bell pepper
1 Tbsp finely minced, peeled ginger root
3 Tbsp water
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
2 eggs, beaten
2-3 Tbsp Tamari
2 tsp sesame oil
¼ cup chopped green onions
For the Rice:
1. Add rice, salt, and water to a pot, stir ONCE, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Allow to cook, untouched, for 40 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
2. Refrigerate rice until cold (I cooked my rice the day before so that it would cool overnight in the refrigerator).
To Fry the Rice:
1. Add olive oil to a large nonstick skillet or wok. Over medium heat, add chicken, onions, bell pepper, and ginger and cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent, and chicken is mostly cooked through. Add cooked rice and water and increase heat to medium-high.
2. Push rice to one side and add beaten eggs to the other side, scramble quickly then toss in with the rice mixture. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil.
3. Remove from the heat and toss in the scallions.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories 229, Protein 13 g, Sodium 506 mg, Cholesterol 79 mg, Total Carbohydrate 28 g (Dietary fiber 2 g, Sugars 2 g), Total fat 7 g (Saturated fat 1g)